“Ironically, those of us who have suffered the most in this life are uniquely qualified to create and appreciate an existence bursting with joy, contentment, and unbelievable abundance. Because we have survived such painful depths of darkness, we are now exceptionally prepared to thrive in the bright light of what life truly has to offer.”
- Licensed Certified Social Worker (CSW)
- Licensed Substance Use Disorder Counselor (SUDC)
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) trained
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy (REBT)
- Schema Focused Therapy (SFT)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Internal Family Systems (IFS)
- Emotion-Focused Therapy (EFT)
- Mind-Body Bridging (MBB)
- Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
- SMART Recovery Facilitator
- Recovery Messaging Trained
- Member of the National Association for Addiction Professionals
- Member of the Association of Utah Substance Abuse Professionals
- Member of the National Association of Social Workers
About Nathan Van Dyke
I completed the Advanced Substance Use Disorder Treatment Training Certificate Program in 2014 and graduated with a Master of Social Work in 2022, with a special focus on mental health disorders (achieving a 4.0 GPA in graduate school). I have been personally involved in the treatment of Substance Use Disorders and co-occurring mental illnesses since 2001. As a person in long-term recovery from addiction and mental illness, I hold an intimate understanding of the unique horrors associated with these diseases.
I am a passionate advocate for those suffering from addiction and comorbid mental health conditions. I have shared my personal story and presented on the complexity of these afflictions in churches, prisons, schools, and at professional conferences. Raising awareness about the genetics and neuroscience interwoven within these disorders is a passion of mine, as it helps reduce the stigma of addiction and mental health issues.
I have been a proud staff member of Red Willow Counseling and Recovery since early 2019. I started as a Case Manager and presently hold a leadership position as the Intensive Outpatient Program Clinical Director.
I have lived in Salt Lake County my whole life and absolutely love the beauty we enjoy at our fingertips. I’m an avid independent film buff and dedicated attendee of the Sundance Film Festival every winter. In the spring and summertime, I can often be found somewhere high atop the scenic Utah mountains, camping in the great outdoors. Autumn is my favorite season. As green leaves transform into a lovely, brightly-covered mountainous canvas, it’s a natural reminder that death, transformation, and the shedding of parts that no longer serve us are what is required to make way for the birth of new growth that will blossom and sway in the wind with full vibrancy and newfound resilience.